Trying all New Zealand Craft Beer: A Beer Club

I decided that it would be a good plan to try as many beers made in NZ as possible (ignoring the stock standard fare until later). And so the challenge begins. Myself and 6 "colleagues" who have the same interests will gather once a month at a beer club and sample New Zealand Craft Beer! The initial brief is...Lets start with ale...s! I'm starting with the southern most brewery, Invercargill Brewery and their Pale Ale "Stanley Green" The rest will be revealed after the "tasting"

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Not so sneaky beer - safety in numbers

[12 June 2009]

so it was getting late on Friday afternoon and in my defense someone else mentioned a bar that has 360 beers.... which reminded me of a bar in Dunedin. So i looked it up and I found they had a good number of "local" beers which looks like a good place to visit! They also have the Bestival of Feers! Anyway I digress. They have a link to soba "society of beer advocates" and a newsletter. So basically I have discovered more and more of the subculture of beer in this fine place. ...and it is huge.

Back to the "local". Soba have a newsletter with reams of information on ...beer and an add for Emrson's, JP 2009 comes out Monday! and after reading the tonic bar's webpage and their Emerson's brewer's choice on tap, here I am sitting on a Friday night with my flagon of very dark ale which is absolutely delicious (Chocolaty, a bit of caramel slightly burnt but big and smooth) ! I popped down to the brewery (gotta love a "small city") bought myself a flagon (filled up of course). It put beer in perspective. A choice of 5 craft beers to fill the bottle with and a constant stream of...well to be honest...men after their weeks beer. Enjoying the craft. And me a "young fella" taking on the whole lot. All in good time!

Also managed a knapstein pale lager from the Enterprise brewery in a swanky Collins st eatery. Company was great (nice ring Joc), beer was damn good (champagne exceptional!). Could lose the cone of silence in the taxis but I see the problems!

So beer has become an obsession. I don't think I ever brewed anything as good as this myself The flagon) but i made something similar I'm sure. Its sad that I find (commercial) beer from the homeland bland and boring but thats what it is. I enjoy a beer and I like the huge variation available. Bring it on. (pardon - thats the beer talking)

No comments:

Post a Comment